Diesel Daisy Design

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

30 Days of Excellence!

What an intimidating challenge! I have willingly and joyfully accepted the challenge of living the next 30 days in excellence. To look at my children as the blessing that they are and to use my words in such a way as to build them up and encourage them.

Here's how my day started:
I said a quick prayer as I jumped out of bed. Thinking of all the things that needed to be done and OH the dread! When all of a sudden it hit like lightening, today is the first of September, I must be enlightening! I can do this, Lord, with your help I whispered. I am an encourager by nature, right? And before I was even awake and alert, I was greeted by my 3 year old.... "mommy I need a different skirt, this one is wet!" Well, of course my mind raced to why it was wet... "Did you wet the bed?" Yes was her reply and so my spirit grumbled. As I sleepily and begrudgingly stumbled my way out of my bedroom, I thought to myself, oh how I detest first thing in the morning. To my happy surprise, she had not wet the bed, in fact she was dry. Everything about her was dry; she just wanted to get dressed. Ah.. my opportunity to praise. Good job, Justina! You are dry. I am so proud of you!! (and I meant this too, but truth be told I was most thrilled to not have extra laundry to wash, dry and fold). Then I turned to my 14 year old who had a look about her that matched my mood. "Have you eaten breakfast? You have to leave soon." No, she said, I am not hungry. My mind recalled that she had said the same thing last night at dinner and immediately I began to worry. "Jessica, you have to eat. You need energy, you cannot go all day without food." My sweet husband jumped in and asked her to eat just a couple of bites of yogurt. So she solemnly walked into the kitchen and opend a yogurt and had .. 2 bites, just as requested. That left me with a half eaten yogurt that no one else wanted to touch. Grrrrr.. my spirit grumbled. Within minutes she was walking out the door. Yes, I said goodbye, but was I encouraging? Not that I recall. That left me with my 11 year old. He is by far the most good natured child in our house. I reminded him to please eat something while I took a shower and got myself together for the day. He did so and even managed to put his dish in the sink and put the food away. Another grand opportunity to praise, however, this time instead of praising him for doing what was right, I found something else to harp about. Aaron, I asked you take the garbage out. "oh, yeah, and he immediately did so." Another grand opportunity of praise, I may have mumbled thank you but did he really know how much I appreciated it? UGH, this encouraging and praising thing is so hard first thing in the morning. I did compose myself enough to tell him that I am very proud of him and that I would be praying for him today as he is auditioning for a part in the school play. He is not in drama but it was an open audition and he jumped at the opportunity.

Well, that was the way my morning started. So I thought, when I get home, I am going to spend some much needed time with the Lord before I attempt at this blog. So I did, and as so often happens with these intimate moments, his word was encouraging to ME. Well, of course it would be, as he is on this journey with me. He will lead by example, he will love the unlovable, he will find what is right and praiseworthy and show me love. He also lovingly, shows me that part that is not right, that part that needs work. He shows me where I am falling short and I need his spirit to fill me to righteousness. Oh how undeserving I am to be a child of God. On my own, I am unworthy, thank you Jesus for giving me your righteousness, when I deserve condemnation.
I prayed, "God give me wisdom and help me take every opportunity to praise and encourage today." He replied: "Proverbs 16:23 - A wise man's heart guides his mouth, and his lips promote instruction." Oh, I said. So, if my heart is not right the words of my mouth will not be filled with praise and encouragement. The instruction that comes from my lips will be from a heart that is not filled with love. Ouch. Ok, Lord, here is my heart.... create in me a clean heart, oh Lord. And the very next verse.. Proverbs 16:24 - Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.
Well, this told me that with God, anything is possible. That with pleansant words they can bring sweetness to the soul and HEALING to the bones. God is good... all the time. He is able to heal a lifetime of hurts. Our words are powerful, able to bring life and death to those who hear them. They can be a healing balm or cut like a knife. The choice is up to me. I can choose to use my words to bring life.This is the goal of the challenge afterall. I cannot take back careless words from the past, but I can put them in the healing hands of my Lord and He can bring restoration to the souls of those I have injured with my words. Praise you Lord, Jesus. Reading on, of course, the verse that brought me to this place in the beginning: Proverbs 18:21 - The tongue has the power of life and death and those who love it will eat its fruit.

Well, day one has started off a bit tough and I am sure there will be many more difficult days ahead, but even in the midst of my sinful, human nature, God is able to bring good. I cling to his power and fall before him asking forgivness. I, definitely need this 30 day challenge. My children need me to accept this challenge. May God be glorified through this life changing process.

Thanks Dana!

No comments:

Post a Comment